Monday 28 July 2008

A Whole New World

I visited Dubai for 5 days. Last year in June, I left Japan and came to Manchester via Dubai airport. At that time, my friend applied for a job in Dubai. I thought if she got a job there, I would visit her.
After one year and one month, the day has come!

People at the immigration office wore traditional clothes and were very serious. I couldn’t imagine my friend’s life here. I was happy because my friend came to pick me up at the airport. Otherwise, I wouldn't have known what to do there. My first impression was it’s a whole new world.
The weather was opposite from the one in England. It’s sunny and hot. I really had good time in the sea. It was calm and beautiful.



After swimming in the sea, we went to the world's only seven-star hotel, Burj Al Arab. Its inside was also really gorgeous.



One thing I felt uncomfortable during my stay was there were few women in local places. That's the same when I got on a boat called Abra:



and even when I went to shopping at the market called Souk:



The reason is that 60% of population in Dubai are workers coming from South Asia. Now they are creating the tallest building in the world, Burj Dubai:




Even the outside is 47℃, they can enjoy skiing inside.




They are planning to build the biggest amusement park in the world. They also plan to build a hotel in the sea. I cannot imagine what will happen to this place in several years. I look forward to seeing my friend again and visiting this dramatically changing place.

No comments: