Friday 10 October 2008

A Light Bulb

I’ve been in Manchester for sixteen months, still it’s difficult to find some particular items at the store. Especially electric items are difficult to find. In Japan, there are many electric shops and I can always find what I need to buy; I just check the prices at different shops and try to find the cheapest one. I wanted to buy an electric heating pad, 電気あんか because I used it in Japan. However I couldn’t find it here. I didn’t find any shops like Joshin, Midori or Yamada Denki here.
I could buy an electric heating blanket through online shopping, but I needed something that could make my feet warm. I went to many shops to buy it and all I could find was a hot-water bottle. A hot-water bottle, 湯たんぽ! I had no choice and I bought it. Nowadays I boil water every night before sleep and prepare a hot-water bottle. I’ve never been satisfied with this.

I have another item that I’ve been looking for. One of the light bulbs at my place is burned out. I looked for shops and online stores. However I couldn’t find the place to buy it. I could buy a standard light bulb at the supermarket, but the one which was used for my place was a bit different from the standard. I moved the light bulb from another room and kept waiting for a new one. Every time I go to different shops, I try to find it.

One day, my British friend said “I have a question for you.” I said, “Yes?” And he said, “Where can I buy a light bulb?” I said, “I usually buy light bulbs at TESCO.” He said, “Yes, but what I’m looking for is not a standard one. The shape of the joint is a bit different. I don’t think I can find it at the supermarket.” I wanted to say, “That’s a question which I wanted to ask you.” Instead of saying this, I said “Why do you ask me?” He said, “Well you’ve been in Manchester more than a year so you may know more than I do.”

No comments: