Monday 9 February 2009

Mary Poppins again

I went to watch the Mary Poppins musical in Manchester once again, I admit that I’m now addicted to it. The first time I went to watch it was in December but I bought the tickets in August so I could get the best seats, I enjoyed a comfortable good view, beautiful sound effects and a nice audience. On the other hand, this time my friend and I went to the ticket office five days before the show so only the cheapest seats were remaining; a salesperson told us “these seats are steep and space for legs is limited”, however we didn’t care about the seats and we bought them.
At the Palace Theatre they sell pamphlets, music CDs and souvenirs like T-shirts, key chains and umbrellas. I was looking for a music CD; since I watched the show in December I’ve searched for the music CD on the Internet, however I only found the “original London cast” one. Mary Poppins in Manchester is a different main cast from the original London one and I wanted to buy the one I enjoyed watching. At the theatre, I asked the salesperson “Is this the music CD with the Manchester cast?” He said “yes, it’s the Manchester one”, however the package didn’t look different from the “original London cast” that I checked on the Internet so I asked to make sure, “not the London, but the Manchester cast?” he said “yes, it’s the Manchester cast not London” so I bought it before the performance.
Our seats were in the last row of the theatre, steep and limited spaces were no problem for us but I saw many pupils around us and perhaps these are seats for kids. Anyway the view was nice and high: it was interesting to watch the same show from the two different angles. Some of the school children sang songs with the cast during the show so the atmosphere was different from the last time.
My friend also enjoyed watching the show and she bought a T-shirt with “practically perfect” written on the front as a souvenir, actually it was for kids but she could wear it without any problems.
After the performance we went to a coffee shop for a chat and then I noticed that my music CD has “LONDON CAST” written on the cover. Oh dear... I asked about it twice! I should have checked it whilst at the theatre three times, was it my fault? Whenever I’m in a panic my friend is calm and she asks me one by one; “Do you have the same music CD?”, “No, I don’t but I wanted to buy the Manchester one not the London one” and I asked, “Do you think I can get a refund for this?”, then she said “if you’d like it refunding we should go back to the theatre now, not tomorrow or any latter day. I’m coming with you because I know it’s hard to ask alone.” I really appreciated her kindness and we went back to the theatre, there were many people around for the evening performance already and of course we didn’t have tickets for it, however the souvenir shop was in the theatre. I showed my matinee ticket to a person who checked tickets and said “this isn’t a ticket for this show, but I came for the matinee and bought a music CD. I wanted to buy the Manchester cast version and I asked the person inside and he said this is Manchester cast, but this has “London cast” written on package so I’d like to return it, can I enter here and go to the souvenir shop?”, he said, “OK then you can explain the same thing at the shop.”, “Thank you very much”, I said, “this is my friend can she come with me?”, he said, “of course”. Great! I like this flexibility in England.
There were long queues for the shop and we couldn’t find the person from whom I bought the music CD. We chose the shortest queue and explained in the same way again to the salesperson then she said, “I can’t refund it for you, please ask our manager.” She pointed to someone else and said “please ask the person at the corner”. So I went to the corner and explained again she said, “I can do nothing for you, you need to speak to our manager” and she pointed a gentleman in the shop. I’d already explained the same situation three times in English with effort. I was always wondering why people didn’t help me, it’s clear that I’m a non-English native speaker. If I was in Japan and someone was in trouble and explained the situation with effort, I would help to complete his or her wish. I was a bit irritated and said, “I’ve already explained three times and that lady told me to explain this to you so I came here and now you say I need to explain it to another person!” However her answer was the same, “I understand, but I can do nothing for you, only the manager can refund this for you.” My friend interrupted us “OK, now you’ve already practiced three times and now you can explain it perfectly” and pulled my arm to take me to the person who should be last. He asked me “May I help you?” So I started, “Yes, please...” and repeated the same explanation one last time then he refunded me. Finally we made it!
I said, “I’m so sorry about this trouble” to my friend and she said “don’t even mention it.” We had another problem this time, many people came into the theatre but none of them went out, how could we get out from here? We found the same person who let us in and said “thank you” then he let us out.

No comments: