Friday 23 January 2009

Mary Poppins

I’ve liked the musical “Mary Poppins” since my childhood and remember many songs from it. The main reason from liking the movie is that the main character was played by Julie Andrews. Her voice is amazing. I have music CDs of “Mary Poppins” and “The Sound of Music”.
When I was thinking about what to do in Manchester during my family visit, I found the information about the musical “Mary Poppins.” Watching a musical is one of the typical activities for Japanese who visit the UK. So I asked my family whether they’d like to watch it or not. I usually love to watch musicals however I didn’t have any interest in “Mary Poppins” because I’m a big fan of the movie so I had no chance to be impressed by the live musical play, I thought. However my family wished to watch it so I bought tickets for the show. I went there with small expectations, but it was a big mistake.
All of the audience was really impressed by the show. It was amazing!
The story was a bit modified for the stage play and it worked well. In the movie, the Disney animation was synthesized, but it doesn’t look good because it’s an old movie, perhaps the animation technique was breathtaking in 1964. However, time flies and it’s a bit boring now. On the other hand, in the theater musical, some actors and actresses sang and danced: they put in some new songs as well and I had no time to feel bored. In the movie, the banker was in trouble at his working place because his son didn’t bank his two-pence, but it wouldn’t happen in real life. I also felt sorry for the son because he was innocent but let his father face a big trouble. In the theater version, that part was modified and the banker was in trouble because he invested a person who is nice but not profitable. As a result, the banker did a lot of damage to his bank and the fact brought him a crisis.
The banker’s wife was a rather self concerned person in the movie, but she did care for her kids in the theater play and the kids also encouraged their mother. It turned into an extremely heartwarming story.
The entire cast was just fantastic! Marry poppins didn’t let anyone down, her voice, dance and everything was just amazing. I really had a good time there. Of course my impression of the movie has still remained but now I found another aspect of the entertainment which was improved by the change.

No comments: