Wednesday 19 August 2009

Volunteer Work

In return for teaching a Japanese class at the International Society, I can attend the other language classes for free and can also get a free lunch per week at the cafe. In addition they have a party for all language teachers. I took Spanish class, Arabic class and English class for free and became friends with French and Chinese teachers at the party. I also enjoyed having lunch at cafe without doubt. These were what I expected from my volunteer work as a Japanese teacher and I thought it was satisfactory. Fortunately, I got something much more from it.
During two years in Manchester, I took English classes in all terms and noticed 10 lessons doesn’t help to improve my English, however, after taking Spanish class I admit 10 lessons give me some particular idea towards the language. I recognized that studying language from a native speaker affect my understanding a lot. My Spanish teacher tried to speak as much Spanish as possible during the class, so I gradually understand which words sound natural. In the 10th lesson she prepared an exam and I got better mark than I thought and it was amazing experience.
After starting volunteer work, I got some paid work offers. Some of them were Japanese teacher as paid work. My Japanese class is held on daytime so people who work regularly can’t attend it and asked special arrangement in private. Their spouses are Japanese but they usually communicate in English so they didn’t have an opportunity to study Japanese.
I also got a job offer of marketing research work which I’ve never done it before. Although I gave up attending Arabic class, I started marketing research work. Many interesting things started from one volunteer work.

No comments: