Monday 22 February 2010

Ponyo

At last Ponyo, 崖の上のポニョarrived in UK. I’ve been waiting it since April last year. According to Wikipedia, it was on a show in Europe on April 2009. My friends told me they watched it in Paris last year with French subtitles however the film didn’t come to UK. I was wondering for a while and recently almost forgetting then suddenly it was on the show last weekend. I checked three cinemas in Manchester city centre and knew that all shows are English-dubbed version. My Japanese friend complained why do we have to watch a Japanese anime in English? Anyway I’ve been waiting for long so I went to watch the film. As it was said, it was a nice but not as good as the other Miyazaki’s works like “Spirited Away”. Although he drew the characters not fine on purpose, I expected something more. Some scenes and characters were described very fine but some were not, so I felt they could create better work but they just didn’t.
I should mention about songs. Even it was an English-dubbed version, opening tune was the original one and I heard Japanese lyrics. On the other hand, the title tune was dubbed. A girl who sang the original title tune was actually out of tune however she was pretty and popular in Japan. I assume this kind of cutie wouldn’t be accepted by Hollywood. The actors and actresses for voice over were Matt Damon, Liam Neeson and Cate Blanchett so I actually enjoyed watching English dubbed one very much.

No comments: