Thursday 4 August 2011

Holiday in Poland

I have been to Krakow, Poland from 27th to 31st July. The reason to choose the place is simple. My husband and my friends were planning to travel to Krakow and asked us to visit there together. We have traveled to Paris, Amsterdam and some other places in the UK before with them and had a good time. So it’s a perfect opportunity for us to take a holiday. Although Auschwitz is not a pleasant place for Polish people, it is my first priority to visit there in Poland. I was also interested in Wieliczka Salt Mines and visiting other historical places like castles and churches.
On the first day that we arrived, it was raining so we went to a church. I’m not a religious person but I like to visit churches because each of them has different atmospheres and makes me feel spiritual. The church in Krakow has a very high blue ceiling and so much gold is used for decoration. It also has some stories from the Bible shown on the walls.



On the second day, it was a fine day so we went to a castle on the hill. In the castle we saw many armors and weapons, which told us the battle field history. After that we enjoyed walking around. The city is surrounded by a park so it is lovely to have a walk there.



On the third day, my husband and I went to Auschwitz while our friends joined the “Communist Tour”. The tour sounded interesting to us but I didn’t want to miss my first priority so we split into two pairs during the daytime and met for dinner. Before my visit to Auschwitz, I’d already watched a film called “The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas”, so the landscape was familiar in some aspects. However it was very special to visit there and to listen to the story from the tour guide lady.



On the last day, we went to Wieliczka Salt Mines together. In the salt mines, there are a lot of sculptures made of salt rock. In the main hall, the floor and chandelier crystals were also made of salt rock. In olden times, salt was very expensive so Polish people could build castles using the money earned from salt mines. However, it became much simpler to get salt and nowadays people can walk on floors made of salt rock. People can even have a wedding ceremony in the main hall, although it’s still expensive.




Hotel staff is very helpful and speak good English. The food is delicious and public transport is punctual. In addition, all of these are cheaper than in the UK.

No comments: