Monday 29 August 2011

Japanese Food

I have a friend from my choir. She is British and my parent’s age. She took me and my husband to many National Trust places as she is a volunteer gardener at one of the National Trust places. Therefore she can visit for free with two companions. My husband and I really had a good time visiting National Trust places like Tatton Park, Dunham Massy and so on. She also took us to Buxton for the concert that our former conductor of the chorus performs as a solo baritone singer. She knows a lot about music, British history and gardens and is fantastic company to have on a day out together.
I wanted to do something for her to show how much I appreciated her kindness so I invited her to my place for a Japanese lunch. My friend loved my idea and she said, “My taste-buds are already tingling!” This sounds fancy but what shall I cook for her? Japanese restaurants in Manchester serve Sushi and Teriyaki Salmon as typical Japanese meals, however Japanese people don’t eat Sushi much. In addition, I never heard of Teriyaki Salmon before coming to Manchester.
Authentic Japanese food is a bit different from the image British people have, I assume. Anyway my friend doesn’t like seafood so it’s a bit difficult to find something good for her. I remember an article written about popular Japanese food among British people. It said, “Oyako-don is chicken and onions with egg cooked with special sauce served on top of a bowl of rice. This is popular for British people trying something other than sushi.” So I chose to cook this and I also made miso-soup, Hiyayakko which is a chilled tofu and a salad with wasabi seasoning. My friend really enjoyed all of them except the Tofu. She said, “I was very impressed by all the different delicious dishes you made, and it feels very good to have had a real 'taste of Japan'.” I’m very happy to hear this. I’m also happy to know that I could do something for her.

No comments: