Wednesday 10 October 2007

Good things and bad things

Since I started my part time job, I go to work almost every weekday. Do I enjoy working? Well, there are many good things and also bad things.


I describe good things first. My working shift is from noon to 6pm. This is nice because I have free time in the morning. I can go shopping, bank, post office or dentist before work. I usually don’t have time to have lunch before work, but I have lunch break at 3pm. The supermarket where I work is located at the basement and there is a restaurant at the ground level. People working at the restaurant prepare lunch for me. Sometimes I can eat the same menu served at the restaurant and sometimes they prepare special meal for workers. I like eating meal with people. After coming to Manchester, I was so lonely when I have lunch at home alone. I missed my lunch time with friends in Japan. Now I feel better to have lunch time with my colleagues. I have no complaint about the taste because it’s free!


My work is not difficult. I usually start my work with cleaning the shop and check items. I prepare some translation tag in English for Japanese items. If a customer needs some translation or explanation of items, I would tell it to the customer in English. Sometimes I can enjoy talking with customers. No customers complain about any unsatisfactory situation. Sometimes I keep customer to wait because the machine for cash card or debit card doesn’t work well. Sometimes we don’t have the product customers wish to buy. In any cases, they are not complaint. I saw a guy who was interested in “language exchange”, teaching mother tongues to each other. So we met at a coffee shop at a weekend and had nice talk about England and Japan.

Some Japanese customers were also glad to know that I was Japanese. There aren’t many Japanese here, so some Japanese students enjoy talking at shop.


You would think I really enjoy working here. However, there are bad things as many as good things. It’s my boss. If I asked something, he said “think by yourself.” If I did something without asking him, he said “ask me anything when you are not sure”. WELL what should I do? No one working at the shop can communicate with him. He also loves to say “your responsibility”. Anyway he is a British and understands neither Japanese nor Chinese. My Chinese colleague told me how to say a curse word in Chinese. We sometimes say the word together....

3 comments:

Jana said...

hihi, ...

If you need such a word in Slovenian language, don't hasitate to ask ;-)

We are already back home. You are welcome.
Jana

Eriko said...

Ha hahaha, thank you ;-)
And welcome back to EU!
Yes, I really wish to visit Slovenia.

The Great Smurf said...

hi, Eriko, how are you doing?

really funny! dont ask me and "think by yourself"!!!

well, the funny thing is that both things, despite they seem contradictory, are true. You must ask when it's probable that he will answer you correctly and do it by yourself otherwise. they're no certainties that work 100% and always.

Anyway, I hope you are good!

Jaume