Sunday 30 September 2007

Dentist-2

As scheduled, I went to the dentist on 25 September. Fortunately, my tooth wasn’t hurt till my treatment date. So, it wasn’t scary for me to go there. All I need is to have my filling fixed. In Japan, the filling is made by metal after making a plaster cast of teeth, so the treatment isn’t finished in one day. A dentist took the form of a tooth and ordered a metal crown for it. Usually after one week, the crown is ready and the dentist puts it on my tooth. I thought the procedure was the same here. However it wasn’t the same.


At first I explained that I had all my teeth checked in Japan before my coming to Manchester. Then my dentist told me he didn’t do any extra check for my teeth and just put a new filling where the previous one ripped off. He told me it’s easy and will finish immediately.


He didn’t use metal, but something white and special filling. He didn’t make a cast of teeth, so I was happy that my treatment was finished one day, but I wasn’t 100% happy with this treatment. It’s not solid like metal, and the problem is that the filling is smaller than the previous one. It covers the top of the tooth, but the size is the required minimum. Every time I eat food, something is stuck between the teeth. It’s uncomfortable.


This treatment fee was 55 pounds (about 12,650yen). I can afford this without a insurance. The current insurance costs 30 pounds (about 6,900 yen) per month for two persons, and they cover just 75% of payment of the treatment. So, if my teeth are fine for more than one month from now, it’s cheaper to pay 100% treatment fee and cancel my insurance for teeth. However, my teeth may be in a bad condition again soon.


In the meantime, I joined International women’s gathering meeting at International Society. It’s a society by some of universities in Manchester. They gave us information about NHS, medical insurance and TV licence or anything we ask. I asked about insurance for teeth. They said there are some dentists who accept NHS (free medical insurance) registration. If I could register a dentist with NHS, I can cancel my private insurance. So, I went another dentist for NHS registration. They said, however, I have to be in a queue for NHS registration. They will call me as soon as possible.


“How long does it usually take?” I asked.


“Three months.” was the reply.


What a great “ASAP” in England!

OK I will pay my private insurance at least three months.

No comments: