Tuesday 18 September 2007

Japanese foods

It’s sometimes difficult to explain Japanese foods in English. Now I work at Japanese super market and sell Japanese foods. The majority of customers are not Japanese but international people, especially university students. The location is close to some universities, and also the shop offers discount to the students. Many people who are interested in Japan visit the shop. Some of them bow to me when they enter the shop. Usually bowing persons speak some Japanese.

This is an interesting place for me to work. I need to answer questions about Japanese foods. Sometimes it’s like a quiz. When a customer asked “seven different kinds of spice”, I thought a little and showed “七味”, it was bingo. Some people asked me my recommendation about the selection of instant ramen. The shop have five types of it, i.e.しょうゆ、みそ、塩、カレー and とんこつ. I can translate them into English, such as soy sauce, miso (need no translation), salt, curry. But TONKOTSU....., how could I describe this? If anyone has good idea to explain Tonkotsu, please let me know.

People also ask how Natto tastes like. Well, it is quite difficult to explain the taste to people who have never eaten the food. Also I was asked how to prepare dip for Tempura. I think one could use Udon or Soba soup (mentsuyu) for Tempura, however, I don’t know whether the standard one (tentsuyu) is available in U.K. I have to learn how to cook standard Japanese dishes with stuff available here.

2 comments:

sacofat said...

tonkotsu = pork bone soup/stock ?

Eriko said...

Thank you! I use it to explain Tonkotsu next time!