Saturday 15 September 2007

Dentist

I bought my traveller's insurance before coming to Manchester. However it doesn’t cover dental treatment. So, I went to dentist before I left Japan and checked all my teeth. It should be fine in two years according to my Japanese dentist.

Suddenly, one of my stuff of covering the treated tooth was ripped off. It doesn’t hurt now, but it could hurt soon. In England, if I stay here longer than 6 months, I can join NHS. It’s free medical insurance. I searched a dentist which accepts NHS and visited there. They said “we don’t accept NHS at moment.” They only accept a person who has private insurance. There is private insurance specialized to dental care. It costs 30 pounds (about 6,900 yen) per month for two persons. I had no choice. I bought it and went to the dentist again. They said, “Even with your private insurance, you need to pay 45 pounds (about 10,350 yen) for registration and a doctor will tell you about treatment fee when you talk with him”. 45 pounds just for registration, it costs a lot!

Moreover, the insurance doesn’t cover 100% of treatment fee. As a procedure, I need to pay 100% for treatment fee and then claim to the insurance company and they pay me back 75% of treatment fee. However the insurance company sets some maximum limit to cover, so I am not sure how much I need to pay for my tooth treatment. My appointment is on 25 September. I will see how it goes.

No comments: