Wednesday 5 September 2007

Job hunting

I started job hunting since July. It’s rather difficult than I imagined. The procedures are not complicated. As the first step, I get job information from newspaper. There are many job offers on Thursday paper. I found some interesting works and sent application forms, but there were no reply. If I didn’t receive a reply from them, it means I didn’t make it.

The reason I would like to get a job is not only for earning foreign currency. I would like to belong to a society in Manchester.

There are many kinds of works and some works are graded. Grade 1 is less required skill and less paid work. However, it doesn’t mean easier to get a position. More people apply for less required skill work and it causes more competition. I have to find some strong point of mine and apply the job I could do better than others.

I found “International Office social and Welfare Assistant”. It says: This role would ideally suit someone with an energetic and empathic nature who has previously deal with people from a wide range of cultural background. It sounds ideal to me. OK, I apply this one. This is my fifth trial. I couldn’t make previous four applications. For getting their interest, I should appeal myself on the application form. This time, I took four hours to fill out the form and sent it. I described everything what I did and what I can do. If I couldn’t get reply with this application form, I would give up getting a job in Manchester.

The closing date of this application form was 16 August, and I haven’t got any reply yet. It seems that I can’t get a job here. I think this is because I have no background in England. All of my education and job experience were in Japan.

A piece of good fortune, I got a text message from Japanese super market. I sent them my job application form a couple of months before. In a message, they asked whether I still have interest to work there or not. Of course I called them back and went to job interview.

Finally I got a part-time job! I start working soon. I am not sure whether this job is what I really want to do, but I am sure this is the first step to get involved in Manchester.

3 comments:

sacofat said...

congratulations on getting a job!!

Jana said...

Great! Congratulations.

Eriko said...

Thank you!!