Saturday 10 November 2007

Poppy

Since last week, I’ve noticed many people have been wearing a “poppy” on their chest. It reminds me of the “Red feather charity”. In Japan during charity campaigns, politicians and newscasters wear them on TV, but I don’t see them on everyday people. On the other hand, I see some people wearing poppies here every day. It must be a donation for something important. I asked a news paper man about this. He hands out free news papers every weekday at the station. I get the free paper from him quite often and now he recognizes me. He explained that a poppy is the flower of Remembrance Day. “On the 11th of November the last shot of the First World War was fired, now it is known as Remembrance Sunday, and is held always on the second Sunday in November. These poppies are manufactured by disabled ex-servicemen.” Now I understand why many people wear the poppy.

No comments: