Wednesday 5 December 2007

Name

There is a newcomer at my work place. Her name is Eri. When I’m with her, a Philippine colleague calls “Erika” to us. So, we say “We are Eri and Eriko”. Then she says, “OK, girls”.


My Yoga teacher at the fitness club likes Japanese food. She sometimes comes to my work place for shopping. She is a very nice person and tries to remember everybody’s name. At first she recognized my name as Erika. I don’t care how people call me, but if she asked me, “your name is Erika?” I answer “My name is Eriko.” Even if I don’t care, it’s stupid to say “you can call me Erika, but my name is Eriko.” I can’t tell a lie about my name. She calls me “Eri” when she is not sure. Good choice!

A few weeks later, she suddenly recognizes my name as Eriko and now she always calls me Eriko.

No comments: