Friday 29 February 2008

Earthquake

Manchester was hit by an earthquake on Wednesday. It happened just before 1am. I was half asleep. Actually I wasn’t sure if it was real or in my dream. A text message to my cell phone woke me up. It was from my colleague. He said “OMG” in his text. I thought something serious happened at my work place. However, he just asked whether I noticed the earthquake or not. I tried to answer “yes”, but I fell asleep before sending the text message.

On Wednesday, everybody talked about the earthquake. In Japan, the scale of an earthquake measured both of magnitude and 震度(shin-do). I checked 震度 in the dictionary and found it was translated to “Japanese scale”. So, the quake measured just 5.3 on the Richter Scale here. I estimated that it was 2 or 3 on the Japanese scale. And a news paper said, “There were no reports of any injuries.” Still it said, “The quake was the largest since 1984 when an earthquake measuring 5.4 shook North Wales.” The earthquake is quite an unusual thing to happen here.

No comments: