Monday 13 August 2007

August 13, 2007

Finally my goods to be moved have arrived! For your information, I describe how I chose a moving company.


First of all, I asked my friends who have experience of moving out of Japan. Their recommendation was Nittsu. The service and price of Nittsu is nice, however, they said it depends on the destination, so I needed to check whether Nittsu was good for moving to England or not. I compared the price on the web sites. Nittsu and Kuroneko Yamato provide the same kind of service with the same range of price. OK, I will take my friends recommendation and called Nittsu. HOWEVER, my destination is not London but Manchester. If on the web site they say England, it means London. I have to pay extra fee to send goods from London to Manchester. Nittsu requires about additional 70% fee compared with the price for London. It’s almost double. Then, I called Kuroneko for comparison. Kuroneko requires just about 20% extra. The standard cost to London is the same, but to Manchester, Kuroneko is much cheaper. So, I chose Kuroneko.


Their service was very good! At first I planned to send my goods on the day before my departure, but I couldn’t finish packing so I changed the date of their coming. I also asked them to pick up my goods as late as possible. They didn’t complain at all and kindly accepted my order. I could also postpone telling them the address where I would receive my goods until I settle in Manchester. Before delivery they sent me an email and noticed the delivery date and time. On the delivery day, they called me beforehand and arrived on time as arranged.


Of course I need to open the gate for them. Yes, this is very inconvenient.


Three guys came and carried all boxes into my place. The best thing for me, they took off their shoes when they entered my place while I didn’t have to say anything. I like this custom very much! Japanese customer service is wonderful. Now I am surrounded by carton boxes printed with black cats (Kuro-neko).

2 comments:

Andreas said...

Kuroneko... somehow when I read the beginning of your entry and you mentioned that you chose Nittsu I immediately thought: "Wasn't KuroNeko the most popular company for that?". At that point I stopped, pondering: Why do I actually recall KuroNeko? I've never moved while in Japan and I never sent any parcels. Why is it that this companies name in particular kept sticking in my mind? Must indeed be that black kitty logo! Good job choosing a company name that even sticks with the gaijin! ^_^

Come to think of it... that stupid (sorry) Midori電気 song they were playing in loops last year was also stuck in my head for ages. Guess that's what you call brainwashing! O_o

Now here is an interesting question: Eriko, if you had three seconds to name one British brand name, which one would that be and why do you think you picked that one in particular?

Eriko said...

My answer is “Marks and Spencer”.
Oh, this is an interesting question. Before I come to Manchester, my image of British brand was Burberry, Laura Ashley, Harrods and Fortnum & Mason. After I start to live here I recognise I don't see these brand names on my daily life.