Saturday 17 May 2008

Celine Dion

I’m a big fan of Cline Dion. Two weeks ago, she came to Manchester for her world tour concert. I bought the ticket in November last year. In general, entrance fees of movies, classic concerts, musicals and operas, are cheaper here than in Japan. However, the concert ticket was not the same. When I search the best available seats by Internet, it showed the seats costs 85 pounds (17,000yen). I bought the seat, but the best seats had already sold out and they cost 125 pounds (25,000yen).

I’ve waited for the concert for 5months and finally I went to the concert. I received a reminder and a schedule of the concert by email. This was useful information. The starting time of the show was written at 8:00pm, however, the schedule by email told me someone else started to play from 8:00pm to 8:30pm. Celine would start to sing from 8:50pm. I didn’t know the first performer, but I went to the arena by 8:00pm. Many people had already been there. The first performer started to sing on time, but some of the audience members didn’t know about it. They seemed to be surprised that Celine didn’t show up at 8:00pm. The first performer’s song was quite good, but many Celine fans didn’t listen to his songs. They were rather noisy. At 8:50pm, finally Celine was on the stage. Thanks to the expensive tickets, the audience members weren’t young people. None of them stood up. This was a relief for me. People are bigger here than in Japan. If everybody stood up, I wouldn’t be able to see. I could enjoy looking and listening to the concert. Her voice was beyond my imagination. I was about to tear-up when I listened to her song “power of love”. All of the songs were impressive and I really had a good time.

I found some differences from Japan. One of them was about the security check. There was no checking of my belongings at an entrance. Anyone could take photos by camera or mobile phone during the concert. It’s usually forbidden in Japan.

Her native language was French, so she said “I sing at least one French song in every one of my concerts.” I thought it was a good idea. For me, whether she sang in English or in French, it wasn’t a big difference. However, it seemed to be a big difference for British people. I felt the atmosphere from the audience was cool or even cold. I recognized that singing French songs in England was a challenge.

As I expected, the last encore song was “My heart will go on.”

No comments: