Sunday 11 May 2008

The Straw that Breaks the Camel's Back.

I’ve been working as a part-time for seven months, but now I have quit the job. The following is one of the reasons.

My working shift starts from 12 noon. The shop also opens from 12 noon. It’s not a popular supermarket, so I know it’s no problem.

I start work 10minutes before noon. One day I couldn’t start 10 minutes before. Still I went 3 minutes before 12 noon. Then my boss waited to open the door for me and started yelling and showing his watch. “You’re late.” He said. I didn’t even say “hello” to him. I lost my words. I just told him, “I’m not late I’m here before 12.” He said, “You should come 10 minutes before 12. You know, if the train leaves 12, the driver started to work before 12. You can’t open the shop at 12 if you come on 12.” I knew it. I said, “In Japan a train driver is paid before 12 and they come earlier. If you want me to start definitely 10 minutes before 12, you should pay me extra.” My boss said, “I don’t know about the system in Japan. Here you’re in England, things are like that. It’s the same in Ireland, Germany, Italy, France......”

I talked about my experience in Japan. “I worked at a facility in Japan it opened from 9:30am. My work started from 9:00am and prepared for the opening.” Then he shouted, “Do you say you don’t want to come 10 minutes before 12?” I answered, “I don’t say it. I usually come 10 minutes before 12!” What I wanted to say was, I usually come 10 minutes before 12 it’s just today I’m a bit late. Still I came before 12. I volunteer to start earlier. He can’t force me to come 10 minutes before 12, because of he pays from 12. However before I said these words, he left me. Probably, other colleagues told my boss that I usually come earlier. After 3 hours my boss apologized to me, “Sorry about this morning. I was really busy, I had so many things to do, and I couldn’t control my words.” I said, “It’s OK.” However my terrible feeling was not dismissed. At 6pm, it was time to finish my work, but a person who starts to work from 6 pm didn’t come and I kept working after 6pm. My boss apologized to me again about how he yelled at me in the morning instead of yelling at the guy who should come at six. My boss is like a barking dog. He yells to women but not to guys. I worked till 6:20pm without extra fee. I don’t talk about small extra wage. Although, it’s progress for my boss to apologize to me, still my bad memories would never disappear.

So many things like that have happened. Each of them might not be a big enough to decide to leave the shop.

Many good things have also happened there. I had many good colleagues. I became friends with some of customers. I enjoyed chatting with customers who were interested in Japan.

I didn’t regret to work to the shop, but I was sure it was time for me to start something new otherwise the last straw would break my back.

No comments: