Friday 16 May 2008

New English Class

I’ve heard about a free English class. My current English class is based on volunteer teachers, so it costs only 25 pounds for 10 lessens. It’s almost nothing.

I thought, now I’ve quit my job and have more time, so why not try the free English class. Now it’s good weather and the perfect season to start something new. So I went to the academy.

The free English classes are held by trainee teachers. They haven’t got a license yet, so it is free. It is a two-hour class and four teachers taught us 30 minutes each. Each of the teachers prepared their own study materials.

Before I started to take the class, I needed to take a small English test to find the level of my class. It was 25 questions of English grammar. In general, Japanese people learn good enough grammar to solve questions. After checking my answers, a person who works at the academy asked me “Why do you come to study here if you can solve these questions?” Actually I’ve already learned a lot about grammar and I knew how to get good marks on English exams. However I’ve never been happy with my English. So I answered “I’d like to improve my spoken English.”


It was interesting to talk with people who had come from all over the world. It was also interesting to know that European people understand difficult English words, but sometimes don’t understand very easy ones. This is because difficult words are common in some languages that originate the same language but easy words are easy to be changed.

In addition, I could learn how to become a good English teacher from a variety of teachers.

The best thing is I have new friends there.

No comments: