Tuesday 19 June 2007

June 19, 2007

We found a good room for rent, but it usually takes 5 to 10 business days as procedures for moving. It’s unbearable. Because now we stay at hotel and it costs 89 pounds (around 20,000 yen) per night. After negotiation, we could start to live there this Thursday. Two days later. It’s wonderful! Everything doesn’t go on as scheduled, but anyway we have a small progress every day.

I got my cell phone today. It was really easy. In Japan, we’re required to show ID with Japanese address for getting even a pre-paid one. Here, I could get it without ID. I just let them know my name, birthday and postal code. The cheapest one is 9.99 pounds. Now I have my telephone number here!

I had French fries at McDonalds. It costs 99 pence. I paid 1 pound and didn’t receive 1 pence change. I can’t believe this. I know this happens a lot in USA. When I was in NY, whenever I bought something that costs 99 cents, I have never received 1 cent change. But here is England. I expected to receive change, but I didn’t receive it … I’m not complaining about the money, but this never happens in Japan. Even 1 yen or 1 cent or 1 penny, if it’s someone’s change, it should be returned.

5 comments:

Juan said...

Right!! Why not put the sign "1 pound" directly?!

The Great Smurf said...

Hi, Eriko, this is Jaume. Glad to see you're writing your impressions about this strange land called England, and in english, so people like me can read it! So, it's really, really interesting to see how you get to adapt to that new place. I hope everything is fine. Gambare! Im also gambaring around here.

Jana said...

Hello Eriko,
I am really happy, that you've started to write blog, because I'm very interested in your new adventures and your point of view of another country, so different from Japan.
About 1 cent:
in Slovenia we are used to say to the store clerk: "It is OK, you don't have to return me this small change" or short version "Just leave it." But it wouldn't be nice for me too, if the clerk wouldn't show the intention to return the change.
Take care.

General Tojo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
General Tojo said...

Hahaha, I'm sorry about your 1 pence. Actually that is pretty unusual in the UK and I guess it was just a mistake. They will check the tills at the end of the day and wonder why its got a little bit extra. It's hard to imagine anyone trying to make a bit more money by collecting 1 pence pieces. Haha. I guess its possible considering how much MacDonald's pays its staff.

Maybe that 1p was God's punishment for going to MacDonald's, hahaha.