Friday 29 June 2007

June 28, 2007

“Hello”.

Someone said behind me on my way to a supermarket. I thought he was on the cell phone and I ignored him. He said “Isn’t it Tigger and Pooh?” and he smiled to me. Oh, he was talking about my bag. Yes, the pattern on my bag is Tigger and Pooh. I apologised to him, “I’m sorry that I thought you were on the phone”. He said “I like Tigger and Pooh...”, and he kept talking about the story of Tigger and Pooh. After a small conversation, he asked me “Are you a foreigner?” So, I answered “yes, from Japan.” He laughed and said, “You’re not planning to go back to Japan by train.” He actually asked me “Are you going home?” Ha hahaha... This time, I excused him to say “I thought you asked me ‘Are you a foreigner?’ ”. He said he is also a foreigner. I didn’t recognise it and asked where he was from. He said “Irish”. I see.

Since I’ve arrived here, I had only formal conversation with people in English and he is the first one who talked to me not for business. Though he smelled with alcohol and tobacco and didn’t look like Bill Murray (Joke), it is nice to have a friendly conversation.

1 comment:

The Great Smurf said...

well, this is the first close encounter with that cosmos called irish people...free funny and wit conversation and, I know it's a bloody stereotype, a little alcohol, that makes things go smoother....Irish people are my favourite!