Saturday 23 June 2007

June 22, 2007

Before coming here, I was suffering for discarding my belongings. So, I decided not to buy things anymore, but now I do shopping again. Life is such a waste of time and money?
As I mentioned, people are very kind here. My frustration is that I don’t understand 100% what they say.
I could manage to make a contract for renting apartment. I made a phone call to the utility company for starting procedures. And usually things work without a big problem, however, I feel that I can’t say with no problem.
I also feel I can’t say 100% what I’d like to say. I went to shopping and took a look at cups. I actually didn’t do anything, but one of cups fell down and broke. It happened next to me, so I felt it might be my fault. I waited someone came. A lady came and she told me “it’s no problem. It’s usual things to happen.” Yes, she is very kind and I wasn’t blamed. BUT, I really didn’t do anything. HOWEVER, for avoiding her confusion, I just kept saying “I’m sorry”. Well, things go no problem, but I feel uncomfortable. This is my frustration in foreign country.

3 comments:

blah said...

Hmm, this doesn't strike me as a foreign country problem. I think this can happen anywhere, and I know I'd feel the same way you did, whether it's in Japan, Canada, or the US. -a

General Tojo said...

Ah! You must be careful and never break anything else again! If you apologize in a situation like that it means you think it was your fault so you can say, "oh dear, what a shame, what a shame!" as many times as you like.

Actually I think this is a social skills issue more than a language issue. Even in your own language this kind of thing can happen, but of course it'd be easier to find an elegant way to explain that you didn't break it yourself.

Soon you will find some things you can say more easily to people in England than people back in Japan. I think it depends on the situation, your confidence and your attitude.

ouss said...

congrats ! (for moving in & for the cup )

Well when I arrived in japan I was feeling so in debt to the people around for they were so kind and helpfull that I had my apologies overflowing too =)

(PS: don't worry, they got surveilance cameras so they KNOW you didn't do a thing XD)