Wednesday 20 June 2007

June 20, 2007

I’m so glad to receive comments and email from friends. THANK YOU for reading!!

I kept complaining about expensive items here, but actually there are some items cheaper than Japan. Fruits are cheaper and have more variety. I can buy raspberry, blueberry and pomegranate with reasonable price. These are expensive in Japan and I’ve never bought it. Now I enjoy eating them. The same goes for cheese, it’s cheaper and has more variety. Milk and bread are also cheaper. Vegetables aren’t so different. So, our breakfast is cheaper and has better quality.

Today I had lunch at Starbucks. Starbucks in England, it sounds strange to me. I learned that England is a country where people prefer to drink tea. Now Starbucks is easier to find than tea shop. There’re McDonalds and Subway. Many American shops are here. At movie theater (oh, I should write “theatre” in British English), now available is “Pirates of the Caribbean” and “Fantastic Four”. These are Hollywood movies. The movie theatre itself is AMC (i.e. American Multi-Cinemas). America has strong influence to everywhere.

I don’t know why, but I had learned American English at school. All my British English experience is “Alice in wonderland” and some Mother Goose rhyme. As I know majority of Japanese learn American English at school. I think it would be better to learn British English as well as American. At first, British English sounds different because it’s different accent from what I learned at school. After a while, it sounds easier to recognize (oops, recognise). If I have a chance to teach English in Japan, I’d like to teach British English. For that purpose, I learn British English. My British English might have Manchester accent….

People are very kind here. So, I have no problem about my daily life. It’s obvious that foreigners are regarded as Gaijin in Japan, but here I don’t feel like I’m regarded as alien.

After I move in apartment, my first thing to do is getting Internet access. Now I understand why everybody is eager to get Internet access when they arrive in Japan.

Please cross your fingers for my moving and getting Internet access.

1 comment:

sacofat said...

hi Eriko!
This is Gary. Good to see that you're settling in relatively smoothly. I'll be checking your blog regularly to read about your adventures! it's always interesting to move into a foreign country and observe the differences between cultures!