Monday 16 July 2007

July 14, 2007

I checked the web site of “Manchester Art Gallery” and found the lecture about “Natsume Soseki”. Natsume Soseki is one of the most famous writers in Japan, and I thought he was famous in England, too. “Kokoro” is my very best favorite novel written by Soseki, and the lecture about the novel seemed a must for me. I went and attended the lecture.

The lecture starts at 2:30pm, and I arrive there at 2:20pm. There are already about 40 people. I see a few people who look like Japanese, but most of the audience is not Japanese. I’m impressed that Soseki is such famous in England. Everybody speaks in English at the lecture room. Some apparent Japanese people also come with a non-Japanese and speak in English. I feel like I’m an alien here and waiting another 10 minutes till the lecture starts.


The lecturer started his words with “many of you wouldn’t know about Soseki”.


I see. My expectation was too much. Soseki is not famous in England. However, his lecture was impressive. He introduced Soseki’s life (esp. his stay in England) and work, and also mentioned that Soseki is likely to become famous in England in the future. The lecturer has also translated some of Soseki’s novels into English. The most interesting part was that he explained two paintings at Manchester Art Gallery, which he inferred inspired Soseki to write “Sanshiro”. After listened to his lecture, I really want to read Soseki’s novel. The problem is: should I read them in English or in Japanese?


If you’re interested in his lecture, the detailed information is here.

2 comments:

iwyagd said...

I laughed at "Many of you wouldn’t know about Soseki".
I like "Kokoro" too. Everytime I go to the bookshop, I think if I had the time, I would read it again...
By the way, does the title "Kokoro" have any English translation?

Eriko said...

The same question was asked in the lecture. The book title is “Kokoro” and it's not translated, but if translated in English it would be “the heart”.