Monday 30 July 2007

July 30, 2007

Long story about my telephone machine:

It should have been delivered on 2 July. I was at home all day and waited, but it wasn’t delivered. I checked my mail box, but there was no delivery notice.

After I received the bill, I sent my complaint to the company by email. Their first automation reply was:


“We are very sorry that you have had cause to complain. We take any complaint very seriously and will do all we can to resolve the matter for you. We will now look into the details of your complaint and aim to respond with a resolution within 2 working days.”


But I’ve not received a reply over 10 days since then. I sent an email again, and their automation answer was:


“We are currently experiencing a very high volume of emails following the recent poor weather, and we apologise in advance for any delay this may cause. We will aim to reply to you as quickly as possible.”


Well, I have no choice other than waiting for their reply. After several days, finally I got a reply. It says:


“Please accept my apologies for the delay in replying to you and for any inconvenience this may have caused. In response to your email, I am sorry to inform that I am unable to understand your query. Hence, I request you to explain me more about your enquiry; I apologise but I was unable to take hold of the situation you are facing. Kindly elaborate your query, so that I can look into the matter for you.”


I just asked them to cancel my rental telephone equipment because I gave it up. How is it unable for anyone to understand?

They don’t reply to my email quickly, but they issue their reminder bill really quickly. I received it and it’s written if I don’t pay it immediately, I need to pay extra 7.50 pounds as late payment charge. I should avoid this. So, I paid all fees included rental telephone equipment that I haven’t received. Actually, the fee for rental telephone isn’t a problem it’s just 1.17 pounds per month. However, I should tell them I didn’t receive it because I can’t return it when I finish the contract. I sent an email again, but after I paid the fee, they don’t reply my email.


By chance, I found information that a Japanese girl sells her telephone machine with 3 pounds because she goes back to Japan. Buying telephone with 3 pounds sounds nice.

Because it was her departure day and she was busy, I went to her place to fetch the telephone machine. The telephone machine is 3 pounds, but I needed to pay another 3 pounds for taking the bus to her place. This is not good idea in the sense of saving money but telling the truth, it was the first experience for me to get on a normal bus in Manchester. I got on a free shuttle bus before, but it runs limited area and I know the route well. She explained me where and how to get on a bus and where to get off the bus. With her kind assist, I could come to see her. In addition, she presented me some Japanese foods. I have never tried dried Umeboshi (pickled plum), but it tastes nice! Japanese food brings small happiness to me.

Let’s get back to the story about telephone machine. Now I got my telephone. I can use it and call to the phone company instead of sending an email. After making my complaint, I thought the operator told me:


“I can cancel your……”


Actually she told:


“I can’t cancel your……”


The difference of pronunciation between “can” and “can’t” is really difficult to recognise. Anyway, she forwarded my line to another section. Another operator checked my status. She said, “Sorry, we didn’t order to send it out.”


WHATTTTTT????


Is it such an easy mistake? She promised that the fee will be deducted from my next bill.


Hope this works.

5 comments:

Jana said...

Hy Eriko,
You are dealing with the problems slow, but successfully :-).
I am very interested in what are you doing in your free time? Did you already got any new English friends. Do you take any classes, ...?
Take care,
Jana

Eriko said...

Hello Jana,
Good point! I'm just writing about it. Please read my next post ;)

Andreas said...

Hi Eriko,
sorry to hear that you are already experiencing bureaucracy problems. In Germany, phone companies are really painful to deal with, too. Making a contract is usually really easy -- but wait until you use the word "cancel", that's when the problems start.

I'm glad to hear that the will reimburse you.

Are you serious that you never tried any 梅干 before? Aren't they common fillings for Onigiri?

Eriko said...

Hello Andreas,

Sorry for making you confused. It’s difficult to translate the name of the Japanese food in English. It’s not normal 梅干. I translated 乾燥梅干 into dried Umeboshi, but both 乾燥 and干 can be translated in “dried”, which is really confusing. It’s flat, seedless, a little sweeter ... Well, please check the photo of 乾燥梅干:
http://img3.store.yahoo.co.jp/I/cakefactory_1954_4534512

Andreas said...

Hi Eriko,

thanks for your explanation. I kind of suspected that I had missed something since Umeboshi (梅干) aren't necessarily dry.

When I read that you had never eaten them I was wondering "Never ate Umeboshi... hmm, is she really Japanese?!?" ^_^ Now everything makes sense again. ^_-